Monday, November 4, 2013

BNL 2709- UNKNOWN WORD

                 The students generally have difficulties in guessing the unknown word which are totally unfamiliar for them. What I expect you to come up with the idea of "cultural knowledge" by talking about "unfamiliarity". Let me exemplify this; your students do not have any idea about christmas, you are teaching in a rural area of Turkey. You gave them a reading passage with some blanks, and you asked them to fill that blanks with corresponding words. Even if the words were the most common ones, your students would not be able to guess and fill it.
                  I also experienced such kind of situation because I am native speaker of Turkish and I have limited cultural knowledge towards the target language, in this case, English is the target language.

No comments:

Post a Comment