Monday, November 4, 2013

Why Common words

            Knowing the most commonly used words can help me to make differentiation between unknown ones and known ones of students' vocabulary knowledge. What my point here is, If I known the most commonly used words, I will have an idea of that my students does not encounter with other words in any area.Therefore, I will not consume my time by teaching every single word.

           In my humble opinion, it is not necessary to teach common words explicitly because They will meet these words sooner or later and because of the frequency level of them, they will know them .

           I am strongly against to teach vocabulary apart from the reading, listening skills, It must be taught as a sub-category of the the other skills. I do not want to separate them from each other. What I prefer is that, give a reading passage to the students and make them guess the meaning of unknown word, so it is not an explicit way of the teaching vocabulary.

          If my students are visual learners, then it will be helpful to list the vocabulary, what I am saying that it depends on the students' preference and the learning styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment